The Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice in Ekiti State, Olawale Fapohunda today, 8th November 2019, marks one year in office for the second time.
Fapohunda, a Human Rights Activist and justice sector reform expert obtained his First Degree from the University of Jos, Plateau State and later, his Master of Laws Degree at the Kings’ College University of London, with specialisation in International Human Rights Laws. He has practiced Law for about Thirty years.
The Executive Governor of Ekiti State, Dr. Kayode Fayemi appointed Fapohunda as the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice on the 8th November 2018 in recognition of his numerous contributions to the justice sector and development.
Fapohunda has a philosophy of committed service to humanity. In his words, “all my life has been about making a difference in peoples’ lives and making a difference in my environment. Making a difference means the continuous search for knowledge and best practices and I will go to the Sahara desert for either…”
The Honourable Attorney-General who is fondly called the best Attorney General in Nigeria by the Wife of the Governor of Ekiti State, Erelu Bisi Fayemi, has championed the enactment of various Laws and policies which includes:
- Ekiti State Magistrate Court Law 2013;
- Ekiti State Administration of Criminal Justice Law 2014;
- Ekiti State Administration of Civil Justice Law 2019;
- Ekiti State Property Protection (Anti Land Grabbing) Law 2019;
- Gender-Based Violence Prohibition Law 2019;
- Ekiti State Fiscal Responsibility Law 2019;
- Ekiti State Board of Internal Revenue Law 2019;
- Ekiti State College of Education, Ikere Ekiti (amended) Law, 2019;
- Ekiti State College Of Health Sciences and Technology Law, 2019;
- Ekiti State Transition Law 2019; and
- Ekiti State Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) Law 2019.
Other initiatives include:
- The Palace Court Judgements which is targetted at strengthening traditional courts and ensuring access to justice for people in the grassroots in Ekiti State;
- The establishment of the Legal Information Service, an online platform which is committed to the professional development of the Legal Profession in Ekiti State;
- The establishment of the Ministry of Justice Academy first of it’s kind in Nigeria;
- MOJ Legal Advisory Programme to all MDAs; and
- Law Officers Security Protection Service.
Further, under his watch, the construction of the new Ministry of Justice complex has commenced.
This is wishing our quintessential Attorney-General a successful term in office.
Oludayo Olorunfemi, Chair, NBA Ikere-Ekiti branch