The Emirate of Lafia is set to fill the vacant stool of nobility. However, the Laminu Ruling House and 2 others have decried their alienation from the deserved royal selection.
Two Houses, Ari Dunama and Dalla Dunama, are in front line contesting for the throne, while Umar Sanda, Musa Danjaji Laminu and Musa Gana ruling houses were left out from the selection.
According to the aggrieved royal families, Dunama family was not the only one that founded Lafia as paddled in some quarters, stressing that Lafia was collectively founded by a group of Kanuri Royal warriors after traversing some parts of the country.
This assertion was contained in a joint signed statement by heads of the three Ruling Houses; Aliyu Sanda, Yusf Ibrahim Jaji (Jarmen Lafia) and Muhammadu Jibrin (Galadiman Lafia), and made available to TheLoyal Nigerian Lawyer.
“We find it imperative at this juncture to let the whole world know the broad day light injustice meeting out to the Ruling house. Ari Dunama and Dallah Dunama ruling house and excluded other Ruling Houses from contesting for the stool of the Lafia emigrate,” the statement said.
The statement added that it was during the reign of Umar Dalla that the stage was set for the total removal of the other Ruling houses by sub-dividing the Dunama ruling house into two , namely; Dallah Danama and Ari Dunama of the present Ungwar Doka and Kofar Kaura.
” It is also believed that it was from that moment in history that Kingmakers were made to make a secret pledged to be selecting subsequent emir from the above subdivided Dunama Rulling houses rotationally.
“This injustice has been on for about century and the other Rulling houses have been fighting the injustice using all available legal means to have these anomalies corrected.
The three ruling houses are Ari Laminu, Musa Danjaji and Musa Gana said the concern here has been that Dunama was not the only one that founded Lafia as paddled in some quarters. Lafia was collectively founded by a group of Kanuri royal warriors after traversing some parts of the country.
They maintained that it was during the reign of Umar Dalla that the stage was set for the total removal of the other ruling houses by sub-dividing the Dunama ruling house into two: namely; Dallah Danama and Ari Dunama of the present Ungwar Doka and Kofar Kaura.
“It is also believed that it was from that moment in history that kingmakers were made to make a secret pledged to be selecting subsequent emir from the above-subdivided Dunama ruling houses rotationally.
“Not until on April 23, 1976, when the government of the then Plateau State under the administration of Group Captain Dan Suleiman, of the blessed memory set up a judicial panel of investigation to look into the chieftaincy affairs in the whole Plateau State under the chairmanship of late Yahaya Muhammadu Kamam and recommendations were made,” he said
The panel after subsequently recognising two subdivided ruling houses in Lafia, also recommended that Ari of Laminu should be made a distinct ruling house for the fact that the Laminu had also established a ruling dynasty; the Laminu ruling house had produced an emir other than its founder.
“A white paper was made and subsequently gazetted on April 29, 1983, via Plateau State Legal Notice No. 8 of 1983 on the Lafia emirate (Declaration of the Native law and custom relating to the selection of the Emir of Lafia) Order 1983 that this ruling house should also be a distinct ruling house”
Undisputed historical records:
- The 4th Emir of Lafia, LAMINU was the longest serving Emir of Lafia with the exception of Dr. Isa Mustapha Agwai I. Because he ruled Lafia for 25 years from (1819-1844)
- It was LAMINU that built the present Emir’s Palace.
- It was LAMINU that went to Bauchi during the reign of Emir of Bauchi Yakubu and collected the Holy Qur’an, the Sword, the Flag and brought the title of Alkali (Judge) in preparation for the full implementation of Shariah System in Lafia.
- It was LAMINU that built the present Lafia Central Mosque. The place used to be shrine.
- LAMINU also built wall round Lafia City.
- ARI LAMINU also ruled LAFIA for 2 years from (1866-1868) before he died.
- How can someone with the above mentioned achievements who spent 25 solid years and other Emirs on the throne be said to have held it in trust for the benefit of the first Emir, DUNAMA’s children?
- Assuming without conceding that it was correct that the whole 4 people that ruled Lafia after the first Emir held same as regents, then how come ARI LAMINU, the son of the 4th Emir of Lafia also ruled as the 7th Emir of Lafia for 2 years until he died?
- Between the reign of the first Emir and when his son DALLAH DUNAMA ruled, we have 40years. Could it be that his brothers were also not of age that was why ARI LAMINU was also selected Emir of Lafia?
- How can ARI DUNAMA be made one of the Ruling Houses in Lafia when he never ruled in the history of Lafia Emirate while the name of ARI LAMINU, the 7th Emir of Lafia was not made one of the Ruling Houses?
- How can the name of the son of DUNAMA, DALLAH DUNAMA was made one of the Ruling Houses in Lafia while the name of the son of LAMINU, ARI LAMINU was not made one of the Ruling Houses in Lafia?
It should be noted that both DALLAH DUNAMA and ARI DUNAMA are children of DUNAMA.
While DALLAH DUNAMA ruled Lafia which qualifies his family members can also inherit the throne, ARI DUNUMA never ruled Lafia.
Now if it is argued that even though ARI DUNAMA never ruled Lafia but traced his right from his father DUNAMA, then what stop the family members of LAMINU and ARI LAMINU from inheriting the throne by virtue of the fact that their father and grandfather also ruled Lafia ?
This is the history they don’t want people to know.
” This is the injustice that has been going on and they expect us to keep quiet. This is the injustice we are fighting. The justifications are just unreasonable and cannot stand the test of logic.
It’s often said that whatever you sow, is what you will reap. The evil they corroborated and hatched in 1986 is what is hunting them now. They conspired and edged us out and made it rotational among them but today, they are fighting among them as to whether to follow the Gazette of 1986 by rotating between them in which case only the family members of DALLAH DUNAMA are eligible to contest for the vacant stool or allowing the family members of ARI DUNAMA to also contest the stool in fragrant breach of the clear position of the instant gazette.
We are watching with keen interest to see how the powerful interest can be accommodated without following the due process of the law.
If ARI DUNAMA family members are allowed to participate in this contest, it then means the 1986 Gazette is abandoned and 1983 Gazette is used. And if the 1983 Gazette will be used it then means it is own turn to present candidates for the vacant stool. Because by that Gazette, both ARI DUNAMA and DALLAH DUNAMA are placed as they are under one Ruling House I. E DUNAMA RULING HOUSE. while we on the other hand we are also place where we are I.e LAMINU AND ARI LAMINU under one dynasty LAMINU RULING HOUSE.
Why we found ourselves in this kind of situation is selfishness and the scheme may not be abbetted anytime soon.
Therefore, the Nasarawa State Government should seize this opportunity to right the wrong by addressing all these deliberate confusion created by power mongers.
We wouldn’t mind as a means of finding a lasting solutions to the constant tense situation we also find ourselves at intervals if the first five (5) Ruling Houses be restored and the contest be left opened to all the Ruling Houses. This is to avoid continued agitations.
In fact, it is high time the Nasarawa State Government bought the idea of initiating a process of having our own Laws dealing with Appointments and Disposition of Emirs and Chiefs in order to address some of these challenges.” The statement concluded.