THe Midwest Bar Forum, MWBF, has adopted Mr Kunle Edun as its candidate for the the position of Publicity Secretary in forthcoming Nigerian Bar Association General Elections.
The Warri-based rights activist was unanimously adopted by all members present at their quarterly meeting held last Saturday in Asaba, Delta State.
Mr Edun expressed his appreciation to the chairmen, bar leaders and distinguished members of the various branches of NBA for their congratulatory messages in respect of his adoption by the MWBF.
“I consider it as a great honour and a call to serve the NBA.
“I assure you that the vibrancy, proactive and responsible NBA we all have been yearning for will come to fruition, with your continued support.” Edun said.
“If elected we shall surely deliver. We are your representatives and it is a team work. Our assignment is a noble one.” He conceded.
Kunle Edun was called to the Nigerian bar in 1999 and currently the vice-chairman of the Nigerian Bar Association, Warri Branch.
Edun has served the Nigerian Bar Association in different capacities including:
1) Participated and currently a member of the National Executive Committee of the NBA.2014-2016; 2016-2018.
2) Council member of the Section on Public Interest and Development law (SPIDEL) 2016-2018.
3) Council member, NBA Human Right Institute. 2016-2018.
4) Chairman, NBA Warri Human Right Committee. 2016-2018.
5) Member, Midwest Bar Forum Award Committee. 2015 to date.
6) Member, Administration of Criminal Justice Law Committee of Delta State. 2017 to date.
7) Member, NBA Warri Publication Committee that produced the legacy book “Selected Judgments of Hon. Justice F.O. Ohwo”. 2017.
8) Chairman, NBA Warri Public Interest Litigation Committee. 2914-2016.
9) Chairman, NBA Warri Car Sticker and Fake Lawyers’ Committee. 2014-2016.
10) Chairman, NBA Warri Ad hoc Committee on members’ health Insurance. 2014.
11) Chairman, NBA Warri Pro Bono Committee. 2014-2016; 2016-2018.
12) Alternate Chairman, NBA Warri Publication Committee. 2006-2008.
13 Past Publicity Secretary of NBA Warri. 2006-2008.
He has also been involved in some public Interest litigation :
1) Member, 4 man Committee to handle the assault case of Bernard Eyabevwe Esq., by Policemen.
1A) Successfully litigated the first case in Delta State, in his personal capacity which established that the FOI Act is applicable to Delta State.
2) Personally and successfully litigated a case where the High Court of Delta State directed the Delta State Government to account for and refund all public funds spent on pilgrims; with an accompanying restraining order granted on further use of public funds for religious pilgrimage.
3) Personally and successfully litigated a case against the DTSG that stopped VIOs from demanding money and issuing certificates of road worthiness in respect of private vehicles in Delta State. An order of perpetual injunction was also gotten.
4) Personally and successfully litigated a case against the Delta State Government and Delta State Oil Producing Development Commission to furnish information and account for more than N600b received as derivation funds from inception.
5) Successfully pursued a matter on behalf of the Itsekiri nation and froze accounts bearing more than N2.1 billion naira belonging to the Itsekiri nation but inappropriately channelled by Chevron Nig. Ltd.
6) Personally filed an action on behalf of a colleague against the FRSC for operating on State roads and harassing the colleague in the process.
7) Presently challenging the Delta State Govenment at the FHC, Warri for restricting the movement of persons during days declared as environmental sanitation days.
8) Founder and Executive Director of Transparency and Anti-Corruption Lawyers’ Network.
9) Regular anchorman/Guest on TV/Radio Stations in Delta State to discuss contemporary legal and public issues.
10) Presently handling in court many fundamental right enforcement actions filed by the NBA Warri on behalf of lawyers against the Police, in his capacity as the Chairman of NBA Warri Human Right Committee.
11) He has written many articles on contemporary issues published in the Vanguard, Punch and Guardian Newspapers.
11) Vanguard Newspaper of Tuesday, October 27th, 2015, declared Kunle Edun as the “Constitutional Militant of Delta State.”
12) Patron/Counsellor of the NBA Warri Young Lawyers’ Forum.
Kunle Edun is a member of the following associations:
1) International Bar Association.
2) Nigerian Bar Association.
3) African Bar Association.
4) Associate Member, American Bar Association.
1) Pessu Primary School, Warri.
2) Essi College, Warri.
3) Rev. Kuti Memorial Grammar School, Abeokuta.
4) Ogun State Polytechnic, Abeokuta (Mass Communication) 1991.
5) Ogun State University, Ago-Iwoye (LL.M 1991-97).
6) University of Benin( LL.M) 2004-2006.
Bar and Corporate Exposures
Kunle Edun is widely travelled and has attended bar and business conferences in New York, Toronto, London, Johannesburg, Paris, Cairo, Dubai and the Netherlands.
1) Head of Chambers/Litigation in the office of Chief A.K. Osawota & Co, one of the prominent law firms in Warri. Left in 2007.
2) Appointed Company Secretary/Legal Adviser of Lonestar Drilling Nig. Ltd, Port Harcourt. 2007-2012. He saw first hand, the huge corruption in the Nigerian oil and gas industry amongst the major players.
3) Co-founded in 2011 the law partnership of TRI-LEX PARTNERS LP in Warri to drive home the fact that the future of the legal profession in Nigeria lies with lawyers embracing partnership.
4) Presently, Managing Partner of Tri-Lex Partners LP, Warri.
Kunle Edun is a detribalised Nigerian. He is happily married to Ngozi Edun (nee Ofili) and have three beautiful daughters and a handsome son born in April, 2018.