The general public is specially Invited to the book launch in honour of retiring erudite jurist, Honourable Justice Abdu Aboki JSC.
Date: 15th September, 2022
Venue: Shehu Musa Yar’Adua Centre, Abuja. 1, Memorial Drive, Central Business District, FCT Abuja, Nigeria.
Prof. Mansur Ibrahim Sa’id, 08035073498
Wendy Nkemadu, Esq., 08033387103
Profile of Hon. Justice Andy Aboki, JSC JSC
Hon. Justice Abdu Aboki, JSC is an eminent Nigerian Jurist, who hails from Kano State. Born on the 5th of August 1952, His Lordship attended N.A. Primary School, Kabawa from 1960 – 1964; Shahuchi Primary School, Kano from 1965 – 1966; and Government Secondary School Hadejia where he obtained the West African School Certificate in 1971.
Hon. Justice Abdu Aboki, JSC was at the Abdullahi Bayero College, Kano from 1972 – 1973 and later attended the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, where he obtained his Bachelor of Laws Degree (LL.B) in 1976. His Lordship then proceeded the Nigerian Law School, Lagos and was called to the Nigerian Bar in 1977. In 1982, Hon. Justice Abdu Aboki, JSC, attended the University of Washington Law School, Seattle USA, where he obtained a Certificate in Legislative Drafting. In 1985, he obtained a Certificate in Advanced Practice and Procedure, from the Nigerian Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, University of Lagos. He became a Fellow of the Commonwealth Judicial Education Institute (fcjei), from the Commonwealth Judicial Education Institute, Delhause University, Halifax, Novo Scotia, Canada in 2006.
His Lordship began his distinguished career, as a Legal Officer in the Kano State Civil Service from 1976 – 1977. After the compulsory NYSC Programme in old Gongola State, His Lordship was appointed a State Counsel, Ministry of Justice, Kano State in 1978. By a dint of dedication and hard work, he rose to become the Solicitor General/Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Justice, Kano State from 1983 – 1984; Director, Public Prosecutions, Ministry of Justice, Kano State from 1984 – 1985; and Chief Registrar, High Court of Justice, Kano State from 1985 – 1987.
Hon. Justice Abdu Aboki, JSC was appointed a Judge of the High Court of Justice, Kano State in 1987 and he served in that capacity until 2006, when His Lordship was elevated to the Bench of the Court of Appeal of Nigeria. He served very creditably at the Court of Appeal for fourteen years and was the Presiding Justice of Jos and Abuja Divisions of the Court of Appeal.
His Lordship is generally lauded as having served with distinction at the Court of Appeal, with many of his Judgments often evincing encomiums for his undoubted mastery of the law. He is an amiable and most valuable member of the Nigerian Judiciary, a consummate Jurist, a Life Bencher, a well-spoken and refined personality, who loves reading.
Hon. Justice Abdu Aboki, JSC is known for his gentle yet firm control with Counsel who have been privileged to appear before a Panel of the Bench where his Lordship has featured. Nevertheless, as those who have fallen foul of the law can attest, his ire is to be avoided, as this implacably honest Jurist does not suffer fools gladly. It is little wonder that His Lordship was elevated to the Bench of the Supreme Court of Nigeria, in November 2020.
Hon. Justice Abdu Aboki, JSC was privileged to act in various capacities, and His Lordship served very creditably. He was:
- Member, Committee to Investigate Allegations Against Individuals/Authorities in Kano State in 1979.
- Chairman, Kano State Rent Tribunal from 1980 – 1983.
- Member, Kano State Drug Abuse Committee from 1980 – 1983.
- Member, Datti Ahmed’s Commission of Inquiry into The October 10th Rampage from 1982 – 1983.
- Director, Kano Co-Operative Bank Ltd from 1983 – 1984.
- Member, Kano State Board of Internal Revenue from 1983 – 1984.
- Counsel, Ibadan Zone Special Military Tribunal for the Recovery of Public Property Under Decree NO. 3 Of 1984 from 1984 – 1985.
- Counsel, Kaduna Zone Special Military Tribunal for The Recovery of Public Property Under Decree NO. 3 of 1984 in 1986.
- Chairman, Miscellaneous Offences Tribunal, Kano Zone from 1991 -1994.
- Special Lecturer, Nigerian Law School from 1994 – 2008.
- Member, Committee to Review the Penal Code and Criminal Procedure Code (Appointed by The Joint Conference of Chief Judges, Grand Kadis and Presidents of Customary Courts of Appeal in Northern States and Federal Capital Abuja)
- Member, Committee to Prepare Manual to Guide the Operation of the Legal Aid Centre for Social Services Development, from 1997 – 1998.
- Chairman, Local Government Election Petition Tribunal (Taraba State) 1999.
- Chairman, Gubernatorial and State Houses of Assembly Election Petition Tribunal (Nassarawa State) 1999
- Chairman National Assembly, Governorship and Legislative Houses Election Tribunal for Kano State 2000
- Presiding Judge, Bribery, Corruption, Fraud and Other Related Offences Court for Kano State 2001
- Chairman, National Assembly, Gubernatorial and Legislative Houses Election Petition Tribunal for Lagos State. April – July 2003
- Chairman, National Assembly, Gubernatorial and Legislative Houses Election Petition Tribunal for Imo State. July – September 2003
- Chairman, National Assembly, Gubernatorial and Legislative Houses Election Petition Tribunal for Enugu State. October – May 2004
- Chairman, National Assembly, Gubernatorial and Legislative Houses Election Petition Tribunal for Kogi State. June – July 2005
- Member, Committee to Draft Jigawa State High Court Civil Procedure Rules 2005
- Chairman, Court of Appeal Project Implementation Committee from 2008 -2010
- Chairman, Appeal Committee for Nomination of Senior Advocate of Nigeria from 2010 -2012
- Member, Disciplinary Committee of the Body of Benchers Tribunal from 2010 – 2013
- Board Member, Commonwealth Judicial Education Institute Halifax Novos-Scotia Canada from 2014-DATE
His Lordship also has many publications to his credit. This quintessential Jurist has been severally described by many as an affable and deeply religious man. Indeed, his openness and service to humanity has been extolled by many. Without a doubt, Hon. Justice Abdu Aboki, JSC is a judicial gem.
His Lordship is married to Hon. Justice Dije Abdu-Aboki of the Kano State Judiciary, and they are blessed with Five Children (two of whom are Magistrates), and many Grand Children.