The Association of Legislative Drafters and Advocacy Practitioners (ALDRAP) is a not-for-profit Organisation that comprises of lawyers and other professionals who are employed at the National Assembly and other legislatures within and outside Nigeria.
Our major goal is to promote the professionalism of legislative drafting and advocacy as a means of improving the quality of legislation within Nigeria. As a professional Association we aspire to become like the ICAN of the legislative drafting discipline.
In March 2017, ALDRAP was issued a certificate of incorporation as an incorporated trustee (not-for-profit organisation) by the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC), CAC/IT/NO.95847.
In September 2017, the National Headquarters of the Nigerian Bar Association, approved ALDRAP as an accredited provider of continuing legal education for lawyers under the NBA’s Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Programme-MCLE.
Brief Highlights of some ALDRAP Projects (this list is not exhaustive):
- On 16th May 2022, the Government of Rivers State through it’s Ministry of Culture and Tourism gave approval to ALDRAP to design and unveil the Hon. Mary Peter-Odili’s digital library/Musuem of the Legal History of Nigeria.
- In January 2021, the Hon. Attorney-General and Minister of Justice of the Gambia invited ALDRAP to train twenty lawyers and staff of the Ministry of Justice of the Gambia on the use of ICT for Legislative Drafting.
- On 11th March 2020, the Legal Aid Council of Nigeria issued ALDRAP a letter of approval and collaboration for its new project (the design and delivery of legal aid services to Sharia and Customary Courts in Nigeria).
- In May 2019, ALDRAP conducted legal drafting training for the staff Legal Unit of the Nigerian Insitute of Soil Science, Utako, Abuja.
- ALDRAP conducted legislative drafting training for ninety (90) lawyers and staff of the Edo State Ministry of Justice on December 13th and 14th, 2017.
- August 10th-11th 2017 and September 11-12, 2017 respectively, ALDRAP conducted an in-house training workshop for over eighty (80) lawyers and staff of the Nigerian Law Reform Commission (NLRC) and Nasarawa State Ministry of Justice respectively.
Matron of ALDRAP: Mrs. Joy Adesina, SAN (a Senior Advocate of Nigeria)
PATRONS- Professor Amari Omaka, SAN, Former Dean, Faculty of Law, Ebonyi State University and Professor Sylvester Shikyl, SAN, Dean, Faculty of Law, University of Jos.
Chairman of ALDRAP Council- Mr. Hilary Onwe LL.M (LD) NIALS, ADCERT IALS, UK.
Secretary: Dr. Tonye Clinton Jaja
Google form for ALDRAP membership registration [Click here]