FEDERAL HIGH COURT OF NIGERIA (PAYMENT OF DEFAULT FEES ON LATE FILING OF FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS ENFORCEMENT COURT PROCESSES) PRACTICE DIRECTIONS, 2021.
In exercise of the powers conferred on me by Order 57 Rule 3 of the Federal High Court (Civil Procedure) Rules 2019, I, John Terhemba Tsoho, The Honourable, The Chief Judge of the Federal High Court of Nigeria hereby make the following Practice Directions for the Federal High Court of Nigeria for matters pertaining to or arising from default in filing of processes under the Fundamental Rights (Enforcement Procedure) Rules 2009.
ORDER I OBJECTIVES
These Practice Directions shall-
- Save to the extent or as may be directed by The Honourable, The Chief Judge, apply to applications for the enforcement of fundamental rights.
- Ensure the implementation of the objective of expeditious determination of matters concerning fundamental rights enforcement applications.
- Ensure that processes filed under the Fundamental Rights (Enforcement Procedure) Rules, 2009 comply with the provisions of Order 48 Rule 4 of the Federal High Court (Civil Procedure) Rules, 2019, on payment of default fees for late filing as provided for by Order XV Rule 4 of the Fundamental Rights (Enforcement Procedure) Rules, 2009.
ORDER II PAYMENT OF DEFAULT FEES
- Any process filed outside the time provided for in the Fundamental Rights (Enforcement Procedure) Rules, 2009, shall be liable to default fees as provided in Order 48 Rule 4 of the Federal High Court (Civil Procedure) Rules, 2019.
- The directive in the circular letter issued by this Court on the 12th day of February, 2021 exempting the payment of default Fee on late filing of processes in Fundamental Rights applications is hereby rescinded.
These Practice Directions shall be cited as the Federal High Court of Nigeria (Payment of Default Fees on Late filing of Fundamental Rights Enforcement Processes) Practice Directions, 2021.
These Practice Directions shall come into effect from the 26th day of October, 2021. Dated this . 26th day of October, 2021.
Hon. Justice John Terhemba Tsoho, FICMC The Honourable Chief Judge, Federal High Court of Nigeria