A group of vigilant lawyers have detected an alleged move by the Amuwo Odofin Local Government of Lagos State to [purportedly] render legal services in blatant contravention to the Rules of Professional Conduct for Legal Practitioners 2007 that bars all lawyers from aiding non-lawyers in the illegal practice of law or offer of legal services.
The services listed on the advert poster, sent out by the Council, as shared by our colleagues are:
- To swear on Oaths, Affidavits, Declarations and Depositions
- To authenticate documents for international recognition To authenticate Bills of Exchange
- To officially stamp and seal documents
- To verify company documents
- To verify identity and signature
- To witness the execution of local and international documents such as sale and purchase agreements, etc
- To authenticate Power of Attorney, Deeds, Security Documents, Mortgages, Company Resolutions, Minutes of Meetings and Reports
- , Police Clearance Certificates, Biodata Page of International
The local council is not a legal practitioner within the definition of the provision of the Legal Practitioners Act, Cap L.11, Laws of the Federation, 2004. Section 2(1) of the LPA provides that a person shall be entitled to practise as a barrister and solicitor if, and only if, his name is on the rolls of lawyers at the Supreme Court of Nigeria.