Islamic Marriage certificate is now issuable by the Shari’a Court of Appeal, Abuja.
The Grand Kadi, Shariah Court of Appeal, FCT-Abuja, Honourable Justice Ibrahim Rufa’i Imam made this known through a practice direction.
The certificate is a legal document admissible as proof of Islamic Marriage both within and outside Nigeria.
Below is the practice direction
SHARIA COURT OF APPEAL OF THE FEDERAL CAPITAL TERRITORY, ABUJA
ISLAMIC MARRIAGE REGISTRY (PRACTICE DIRECTION 2020)
HON. JUSTICE IBRAHIM RUFA’I IMAM
THE HONOURABLE GRAND KADI, SHARIA COURT OF APPEAL, FEDERAL CAPITAL TERRITORY, ABUJA
PRACTICE DIRECTION 2020
In exercise of the powers conferred upon me by virtue of section 264 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended); section 24 of the Sharia Court of Appeal Act, Cap 550, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 1990 and by virtue of other powers enabling me in that behalf.
I, Honourable Kadi, Ibrahim Rufa’i Imam, Grand Kadi, Sharia Court of Appeal of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, hereby issue the following Practice Direction.
This Practice Direction shall commence from 9th Day of December, 2020.
2. This Practice Direction shall, save to the extent and may otherwise be directed by the Hon. Grand Kadi apply to Islamic Marriage Registry matters.
OBJECTIVE AND PRINCIPLE
3.The purpose of this Practice Direction is to regulate matters under the Islamic Marriage Registry.
4. All the certificate of Islamic Marriage shall be issued by the Islamic Marriage Registry under the Department of Area Court.
ISSUANCE OF APPLICATION FORM (FORM I & II).
5. Application form (Form 1 & II) are to be collected and filled by an interested applicant and to be submitted to the Islamic Marriage Registry duly signed by both parties, ie. Husband/Bridegroom and Wife/Bride, and signed by the Representative (Waliyy) of both parties.
6.The Application form (Form I1) shall be sworn before the Commissioner for Oath.
- Official endorsement and checking of Application form (Form 1 & II) shall be done by the Marriage Registrar or any officer assigned in that regard.
- The Certificate shall be issued after the payment of the prescribed fees and subsequent completion of the necessary forms (Form 1 & II).
- Official eceipt shall be issued to any Applicant upon making his/her payment.
- Certificate of Registration of Marriage will be duly signed by Marriage Registrar and Chief Registrar of Sharia Court of Appeal.
- The Hon. Grand Kadi may review the Practice Direction and/or issue further directions prevailing circumstance may render expedient or necessary.
Dated this 16th day of December, 2020
Hon. Justice Dr. Ibrahim Rufa’i Imam