As the Nigerian Bar Association elections draw near, the able former secretary of NBA Lagos branch, Adebola Olarotimi Lema took up the duty to sensitise lawyers on the preconditions for eligibility to vote for their desired candidates.
The media release reads as follows:
The following are what makes you eligible to vote in the July, 2018 NBA elections to elect national officers who will pilot the affairs of the NBA between August, 2018 to August, 2020.
1. An eligible voter must have paid the current practising fee on or before the 31st March, 2018.
2. An eligible voter must have paid his current branch due on or before the 31st March, 2018.
3. An eligible voter must have been verified by the NBA. If you have been verified before now you don’t need to verify again. Verification is done once and upon conclusion of same you will be issued an enrollment number.
3. An eligible voter must submit the bank teller for the payment of branch due to the branch in exchange for branch receipt. *This is important as payment of branch due to the branch account is not the same as payment of branch due. What makes you eligible to vote is the issuance of branch due receipt by the branch. This is the reason branches are requesting members to bring the tellers in exchange for the branch receipt and to also forward the persons name to Abuja for purpose of the voters list*
4. An eligible voter must have his or her name submitted to the Electoral Committee by his or her branch.
5. An eligible voter must also have a valid and active email address as voting platform can only be accessed via an email.
6. An eligible voter must also be available on the 27th and 28th July, 2018 to cast his or her vote.
7. An eligible voter must also have done accreditation upon the opening of the voting portal for accreditation. Failure to do accreditation at the appropriate time will automatically deny you the right to vote on the 27/28th July, 2018.
*NB: Be vigilant for the information on accreditation so you can do yours in preparation for the act voting*
8. Item 7 above was a prerequisite to vote in the 2016 NBA National election, so same is subject to change depending on the thinking of the Electoral Committee of the Nigerian Bar Association.