President of the Nigerian Bar Association, Paul Usoro, SAN, has been appointed as member of the Presidential Implementation Committee on Autonomy of State Legislature and State Judiciary.
President Muhammadu Buhari constituted the committee in line with the 4th Alteration to the 1999 Constitution.
According to statement issued by the Special Adviser to the President, Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina on December 9, 2018, objectives of the committee is to drive the actualisation of the autonomy granted to the legislature and judiciary at the State level.
- Abubakar Malami, SAN, HAGF/Minister of Justice, Chairman;
2. Senator Ita Enang, Presidential Liaison (NASS), Secretary;
Representatives of State Judiciary include;
3 Hon. Justice N. Ajanah, Chief Judge of Kogi State;
4.Hon. Justice K. Abiri, Chief Judge of Bayelsa State;
5. Hon. Kadi Abdullahi Maikano Usman, Grand Khadi, Gombe State Sharia Court of Appeal; and
6. Hon. Justice Abbazih Musa Abubakar Sadeeq, Ag. President of the FCT Customary Court of Appeal.
State legislatures are to be represented by:
7. Rt. Hon. Mudashiru Obasa, Chairman, Conference of Speakers of State Legislatures of Nigeria and Speaker, Lagos State House of Assembly
8. Rt. Hon. Abel Peter Riah, Speaker, Taraba State House of Assembly.
9. Marwan Mustapha Adamu, Judiciary Staff Union of Nigeria
10. Comrade Bala Hadi, Parliamentary Staff Association of Nigeria
11. Musa Mustapha Agwai, Body of Chairmen of Houses of Assembly Service Commissions
12. Senator David Umaru;Senate Committee on Judiciary, Human Rights,and Legal Matters,
13. Hon. Aminu Shagari;House of Representatives Committee on Federal Judiciary
14. Accountant General of the Federation
15. President of the Nigerian Bar Association, Paul Usoro, SAN
16. Chike Adibuah Esq, representing Civil Society Organisations.
17. Secretary of the National Judicial Council.DG of the Nigerian Governors Forum or such other representative as the Forum may wish to nominate.
18. Chairman of the Forum of Finance Commissioners in Nigeria
Terms of reference of the committee
Assessment and review of the level of compliance by all the 36 States of the Federation with Section 121(3) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended)
To monitor, ensure and cause the implementation of Financial Autonomy across the Judiciary and Legislature of the 36 States; to consult and relate with the appropriate Federal and State MDAs; to ensure and where necessary enforce the implementation of constitutional provision.
To come up with appropriate modality or model to be adopted by all the States of the Federation for implementation and/ or compliance with Section 121(3) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended).
The formal inauguration of the committee by Mr President will be done in due course.